6.21.2012

There's a Monster Under My Bed

There's definitely a monster under my bed. And in my closet, and in my drawers, and in my car.  His name is Clutter and he is scary.  Despite being a fully grown mature adult (most days), I find myself struggling to face him, much less admit that I created him.
P.S. He's not as cute as this guy. (image from Lynnie Pinnie embroidery designs)


  I like to think of myself as a smart, fully capable woman who is excellent at all kinds of things, and it is true when you live alone all your faults go away. But in recent years (aka since I got married!) I've realized there are some things I am just not good at.  Cleaning is one of them.  Figuring out cable wires, playing chess, running marathons are other things, but those are for another blog.  But ya, I'm terrible at cleaning/organizing/throwing things away. I just don't like it and I kind of have it in my mind that I'm bad at it and it creates a self-fulfilling prophecy.  There is generally a method to my madness in the clutter monster but that doesn't really do anybody any good. So I read that old quote recently "A place for everything and everything in it's place" and I thought "Hmmm, that sounds like a good idea."


I knew my husband would appreciate any effort since A-he hates clutter (specifically MY clutter) and B-he can very rarely find anything since I'm the only one who knows where the Monster has hidden things.  So I thought I would attempt to organize our linen closet.  


I didn't even take a "Before" picture partly because it was so messy but partly because I wasn't so sure it'd look any better when I was done.  I was not so confident I could successfully kill or even tame the Clutter Beast.  So let's just say picture a super messy scary linen closet something along these lines...


(seriously it was a mess. just trust me on this.) And strap your boots on...would you believe it...THIS is the after picture!




Does this not look like the linen closet of a very clean and organized housewife who has it all together? I mean, man! She's a beauty. No more monsters in *this* closet! 


In fact, I was so psyched about it I went ahead and killed the clutter monster in the JUNK drawer too! Isn't that shocking? I mean..the JUNK drawer?! That is super advanced monster killing skills right there. 




I only spent about $20 between the two projects-mainly for the "Junk Drawer Organizer" (Brilliant by the way) that I got at Target for $6!! And then to buy those glass canisters for the cotton balls and Q-tips.  Pretty spiffy huh? 


So these are my thoughts about this adventure: 


#1-It's ok not to be good at something and really amazing when you're married to someone who loves you despite these weaknesses. But it's very cool to face your fears (seriously, organizing the linen closet kind of scared me) and force yourself to do something you aren't sure you can do and then actually do it. And it doesn't have to be climbing mountains or conquering your fear of heights, but even just little things! I think as we get older we tend to label ourselves as being a certain way and it gets harder and harder to change.  But who says you ALWAYS have to be that way? Now surely there are people who could have done a better job with this closet (my best friend being one of them no doubt!) but I am so proud of it because I did it and am super happy with the results.   


#2-One of the reasons I'm so happy with it is because in both places I implemented a system that could work long term.

 Seriously, this is such good advice. I wasn't going to make the labels because I thought "that's cheezy, I'll know that all the hair stuff goes on the bottom and the jewelry goes in the middle etc." But I went ahead and wrote on little pieces of paper with a sharpie marker and made the labels anyway and I'm so glad I did. 
 Not only does it help Husband find everything without asking me, it *keeps me accountable*. It's ridiculous but I'll be running late and tempted to just throw something in a drawer and sort it out later and those little pieces of paper keep me accountable. "Dang it...I better put the jewelry with the jewelry or the sign will be wrong".  And it's good :) Keeps the Monster at bay.  


-I know it's not Biblical that "Cleanliness is next to Godliness" but gosh, it sure is amazing when the house is clean and organized-despite how much I do not enjoy the process of getting it to that point.  But I'm so grateful we have a God who is "not a God of disorder but of peace." 1Corinthians 14:33 (Also translated "God is not the author of confusion". ) I'm normally not one to go to the New Living Translation but I love how they word Isaiah 45:18 "For the Lord is God and He created the heavens and the earth and put everything in its place. He made the world to be lived in, not to be a place of empty chaos." Isn't that great? Other versions say "He did not create it in vain".  God has a purpose and plan and place for everything. I just love this truth made real to me in my junk drawer.  


So here's hoping you can tackle the monsters in your life! I think this process took me maybe two hours.  And three weeks later it looks exactly the same. THIS IS AMAZING. Now the clutter monster in my car is much bigger and scarier...we'll see if I can get to him next month ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment